Principal’s Blog, Friday 1st February 2019,Growing through GivingFebruary 1st, 2019
We are very fortunate to have so many students, staff, parents and members of our wider community who are willing to give up their time to support other members of the community. From student mentors and mental health ambassadors to our Governors, people are willing to give generously of their time.
If you ask them why, they often give an initial response of “I enjoy it”, when you explore more deeply they frequently fit into one or more of the following categories:
- Self Confidence – Doing something worthwhile that is valued by others builds self esteem
- New Skills – Doing something new helps you to develop new skills and interests, which is both useful and fun
- New Friends – Working with people provides opportunities to create friendships
- Being active – Many volunteering roles involve being physically, socially or mentally active, all of these are great for both physical and mental health and happiness.
- Building your CV – Employers often look positively on those that volunteer and it strengthens CV’s
- Making a difference– Knowing that you are helping others can be a great reward in itself
The vision for Hazeley and the 5 Dimensions Trust is to allow our students and local community to benefit even further from volunteering, making it a central part of what we do, through this we hope to create a vibrant community of exceptional people. Increasing participation in the arts and sports, helping people through difficult times, improving the environment and helping others learn. What could be more worthwhile?
Finally, have you volunteered lately? How did it make you feel? Are you interested in volunteering more? If so please drop my PA Miss Cooke an email firstname.lastname@example.org