Year 7 Transition Process September 2016
Congratulations on obtaining a place at The Hazeley Academy. We look forward to you joining The Hazeley Academy family in September 2016.
The information below outlines the 2016 transition process:
|The Hazeley Academy Transition Process 2016|
|What is happening?||
When is it happening?
|Visits to Primary Schools||
May and June 2016
Hazeley Academy staff will visit students in their primary schools to talk about what it is like to belong to The Hazeley Academy and to answer any questions prior to Transition Day.
|For students coming to Hazeley with less than 4 students at their current Primary school||Tuesday 21st June
For students joining Hazeley with 4 or less students in their school, our own Student Council are running a social event from 4.15-5.30pm to help with making new friends.
Parents of these students are also invited to their own event.
|Excellence Transition day||Thursday 30th June
Students have been invited to attend this additional transition day for students on the SEN register. This runs from 9am to 2pm and students are expected to attend in their current school uniform and are asked to bring a packed lunch.
|Transition Day||Tuesday 5th July 2016
Students arrive at Hazeley for 8.40 am wearing their current primary school uniform. Students will be dismissed at 2.45 pm. Lunch will be provided for students in the Academy restaurant, or they may bring a packed lunch if they prefer. They should bring a bottle of water to drink throughout the day.
|Transition Day:Meet the Tutor appointmentAfternoon / Early evening||Tuesday 5th July 2016
Families will be invited to attend a short meeting with their son or daughter’s new tutor. An appointment time will be provided closer to the time. Also available to meet during the evening will be our KS3 Progress Leaders, Music teachers / Peripatetic lesson enrolment, Gifted & Talented Coordinator, our uniform supplier ShirleyMK, colleagues from our Excellence department, Senior Lead First Aider and other senior members of staff.
|Literacy and Numeracy Transition Mornings||
All new students will be invited to attend one of several Literacy and Numeracy transition mornings to support their learning as they move from primary to secondary school. Information about dates and times will be sent closer to the time.
|New Starter Day||
Monday 5th September 2016
New starters in Year 7 only start on this date. It is a full school day starting at 8.40 am and finishing at 3.15 pm.
Years 8,9,10 & 11 will return on 6th September 2016.
|Welcome to the year ahead meetings||Thursday 29th September
Shortly after starting Hazeley parents and students will be invited to attend a welcome to the year ahead meeting led by the Progress Leader and an opportunity to meet the tutor to review the start of the year.
Please remember to return any reply slips and letters that were issued in the Permissions Booklet and other letters home.
Recent letters sent home to parents
Key dates and events coming up – click here.
Uniform information for new starters
Hazeley uniform can be purchased through www.shirleymk.biz . Orders can be taken by post, by telephone or by email and ShirleyMK will be at The Hazeley Academy on Saturday afternoons over the summer from 2pm until 5pm for you to try uniform for size and to place orders. These sessions start on Saturday 28th May 2016. No appointment is necessary but I would mention that it can get extremely busy during the first hour.
There will be no session on Saturday 9th July 2016 and if I am unable to run any other sessions due to unforeseen circumstances, I will put a notice on my website.
Samples of all uniform items/all sizes for students (both new Year 7 and those already attending in older year groups ) will be available. Information on additional or cancelled sessions can be found on their website www.shirleymk.biz.
A letter was sent home to parents of the September 2016 intake at the start of May and can be downloaded here.
Orders should be placed by the deadline of 23rd July to guarantee delivery before the start of the Autumn term.
Theresa Shirley will be present during the Transition evening on Tuesday 5th July and available to advise on fittings and sizes.
Guidance for Hazeley Academy Uniform
A leaflet that aims to define footwear that is/ is not acceptable can be accessed here.
The Hazeley Academy Dress Code – Years 7-11
- Dark Green Blazer with the Academy badge *
- Plain Black V-Neck Jumper with long sleeves (no logos on jumper and no cardigans)
- Academy tie *
- Plain white formal shirt ( open-neck blouse without tie for Year 10 and 11 girls if they wish)
- Formal black trousers or formal black skirt
- Plain dark or tan tights or plain black or white socks
- Plain black shoes
- A watch and one pair of stud earrings are allowed if a student wishes
PE and Sports Uniform
- Black/Amber outdoor sports top with The Hazeley logo (boys)* or Black/Scarlet outdoor sports top with The Hazeley logo (girls) *
- Black shorts/skort (plain black tracksuit bottoms/sports leggings in the winter) *
- Black outdoor socks *
- Training shoes/boots as appropriate
- Black Hazeley hooded top (optional) *
- Shin pads/Gum shields as appropriate
- White PE Polo shirt with The Hazeley logo * (girls’ fitted style now available)
- Black shorts/skort
- White ankle socks
- White trainers / footwear as appropriate (non marking soles)
What is not acceptable?
The following must be adhered to:
- Jeans, cords, hoodies, cardigans, trainers, polo shirts, caps and sweat bands are not part of the uniform and should not be worn.
- Black shoes should be worn that are sensible for the Academy and not of trainer appearance. Shoes must be completely black with no coloured soles/heels/laces/logos.
- Girls’ shoes must have a sensible heel.
- Shirts and blouses must be tucked in with the collar fastened and ties knotted and worn in a traditional manner.
- Skirts that are short in length are not permitted. They must be worn to the knee or just above.
- Hair colour and style must be appropriate for the Academy. Bright fashion hair colours are not appropriate.
- Rings, large earrings , necklaces and bangles are not part of the uniform and should not be worn
- Nose studs and other facial and body piercing jewellery must not be worn.
- Makeup should be discreet and nail varnish should be clear only.
I would also like to bring to your attention expectations specifically relating to shoes, skirts and trousers.
Shoes – To clarify our expectations:
- The shoe must be leather/synthetic leather/leather style ‘school shoe’.
- All black.
- It can be laced or have Velcro, or straps.
- It can have a pointed toe or rounded one.
- The heel should not be excessive if it has one.
- There should be no visible branding e.g. a Nike swoosh or the toe cover on a Converse shoe.
Styles and brands that are not acceptable: -Trainers of any type including but not exclusively
- Nike – or Nike style trainers
- Converse – or Converse style trainers
- Vans – or Vans style trainers in either leather or canvas
If worn, skirts must be formal and black at or just above the knee in length. They must not be tight fitted, made of stretchy fabric or have a fashion belt.
Trousers must be black. They should not be ‘skinny or ‘tight ’ or have a fashion belt .
The Hazeley Academy braded items can be purchased from our designated supplier ShirleyMK .
We are very much aware that some retailers do sell ‘school uniform’ that are not appropriate for Hazeley and ask parents to check our uniform policy before making a purchase.
Please click here to see clarification of the Academy approved skirt and/or trousers style for students at The Hazeley